245 Woodstock Avenue, Glen Ellyn, Illinois 60137
312.520.5838 • Dave@StearmanCreative.com • www.houghtaling.us
Writer, editor, producer and marketing executive with extensive track record in project management, brand development, and technology implementation. Proven communicator with outstanding writing and graphics abilities. Trusted and effective team leader able to bring projects in on time and on budget. Recognized for strong and persuasive interpersonal skills with the talent and passion to identify opportunities, solve problems, innovate and create value.
STEARMAN CREATIVE, LLC., Glen Ellyn, Illinois (2015 - Present)
Stearman Creative specializes in bringing company messages to life through the insightful application of both visual and written
communications. As a writer and designer, I help a wide range of companies in a variety of ways.
- Help create or refine brand that can carry over to website, business cards, letterhead, and other marketing materials.
- Valuable resource in helping to fine-tune overall messaging to succinctly craft a compelling story about your company and its capabilities.
- Available to continue work on the evolution and development of marketing collateral, including pitchbooks, newsletters, overview sheets, annual reports, advertisements, and other materials.
- Available to review and offer strategies to refine web site look and online presence.
- Available to help generate new ideas and help solve problems.
- On-going resource for last minute projects.
WILLIAM BLAIR & COMPANY, Chicago, Illinois (2011 - 2015)
William Blair & Company is a global investment banking and asset management firm committed to building enduring relationships with clients and providing expertise and solutions to meet their evolving needs. An independent and employee-owned firm, William Blair is based in Chicago, with offices in 13 cities across five continents.
Led the creative team for William Blair Investment Management’s graphics and communications group.
- Responsible for the editing and production of white papers written to leverage on William Blair’s intellectual capital.
- Main contact for creating new graphics, slides, and other elements used in presentation books, overview sheets, and other marketing materials.
- Designed new templates for presentation books and overview sheets to improve professional quality and consistency.
- Developed presentations for high profile conferences, sales meetings, and internal town hall meetings.
- Served as liaison with William Blair’s Corporate Brand Marketing group.
- Worked with outside vendor to create new marketing material distribution system that incorporates strict compliance requirements.
- Awarded the Claritas® Investment Certificate (CFA Institute).
FREELANCE WRITER & DESIGNER, Chicago, Illinois 2010 – 2011
Served the writing, designing and marketing needs of a diverse set of clients. Provided technical product descriptions for the web site of a medical device company. Also worked with a company promoting an interactive on-line program designed to address mental health issues for returning veterans. Selected to redesign the presentation materials for an investment advisory company.
PNC CAPITAL ADVISORS, LLC, Chicago, Illinois 2006 – 2010
PNC Capital Advisors, LLC (formerly Allegiant Asset Management Company) is an established provider of institutional investment strategies. Vice President, Marketing Director
Served as company’s primary creative resource and project leader charged with managing and directing teams of writers, designers, technical engineers and programmers on a diverse set of special projects.
- Created and implemented a new brand identity for Allegiant Asset Management Company that simultaneously differentiated the organization within the institutional asset management industry while also streamlining production and maintenance of marketing material. This resulted in dynamic and compelling marketing material that was more cost efficient to produce and maintain.
- Redesigned Allegiant’s two main web sites (institutional and funds) to be more robust, visually engaging and user friendly while also making them easier to maintain with in-house resources, thus reducing costs and time required to make updates.
- Established an improved updating system for producing quarterly marketing material for 24 different equity, fixed income and balanced strategies, significantly reducing the time needed to produce while also cutting the potential for human error.
- Transformed Allegiant’s “Investment Focus” newsletter into a more professional publication that was less expensive to produce and more widely distributed to clients, consultants and internal personnel.
- Developed intellectual capital pieces, such as white papers, in conjunction with Allegiant’s investment experts by editing material that communicated complex subjects in a professional, yet accessible way.
- Trusted resource for the senior leadership team, developing sensitive and confidential presentations.
- Recognized by Allegiant’s parent corporation, National City, with The Champion Award for Sustainable Value Creation in October 2006, August 2007, September 2007 and April 2008.
J.P. MORGAN ASSET MANAGEMENT, Chicago, Illinois 2004 - 2006
Vice President, Marketing Specialist
Worked directly with product specialists to craft key messages about various strategies and initiatives. Provided comprehensive support to relationship managers, sales specialists, analysts, operations and administrative personnel.
- Created an electronic tool to provide contact information about national sales force members, improving efficiency and communication.
- Crafted key marketing material graphics that could take complex concepts and visually depict them in an engaging, clear and compelling manner.
NORTHERN TRUST GLOBAL INVESTMENTS, Chicago, Illinois 2001 - 2004
Vice President, Marketing Manager
Directed a team charged with the development and production of internal and external marketing material supporting institutional sales force.
- Designed and implemented an on-line presentation request and tracking tool to manage workflow and insure timely and compliant production of sales presentations.
- Produced monthly company update presentations, coordinating input from multiple sources and senior managers.
JELLYVISION INC., Chicago, Illinois 1996 - 2001
Jellyvision during this time period, was a small, creative company that pioneered a style of interactive computer programming that simulates conscious awareness of the user. It’s best known product was the highly acclaimed computer trivia game series, You Don’t Know Jack.
Creative Director (1997 – 2001)
Creative leader for five titles in the You Don’t Know Jack cd-rom trivia game series, heading a team of writers, editors, musicians, audio producers, programmers and artists. Also served as the main liaison between Jellyvision and publishing partners by developing budgets, schedules, writing guidelines, product naming, packaging and marketing. The Jack series has been honored with well over 50 industry awards and honors for its creative excellence, including the Communication Arts Interactive Design Annual 1999 Award of Excellence: You Don’t Know Jack Volume 4: The Ride.
Senior Writer (1996-1997)
Responsible for researching and writing trivia questions that were a combination of high culture and pop culture knowledge. Also wrote and produced other comedy pieces such as spoof commercials that were heard over the end credits of the game.
Lead Media Producer (1997)
Created and matched sound effects to performance scripts as well as on-screen graphic animations. Experienced with computer sound and graphics programs.
FREELANCE WRITER, Chicago, Illinois 1991 - 1996
During semester breaks for graduate school, and immediately after earning degree, worked as a freelance writer and consultant for numerous financial and other institutions in the Chicago area, including Stein Roe & Farnham, Watson Wyatt Worldwide, Sara Lee Corporation, and Leo Burnett.
GRADUATE STUDENT/WRITER/TEACHER ASSISTANT, Bloomington, Indiana 1991 - 1994
Selected to study playwriting in an ultra-competitive program that only accepts one candidate per year. Awarded full tuition waiver and an assistantship. Served as the Assistant Instructor of Playwriting and Screenwriting under the direction of Dennis J. Reardon.
WCBU RADIO, Peoria, Illinois 1985 - 1991
As the Director of Information Programming (news director), developed one of the largest and most respected news gathering operations in Central Illinois. WCBU is a 50-thousand watt affiliate of National Public Radio.
- Master of Fine Arts, Playwriting, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Master of Arts, English Literature, Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois
- Bachelor of Science, Broadcast Journalism, Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois